Putting it all together.

Final installation The time has come, and the assembled drive train is going to be installed into the former engine compartment. The hoist is an absolutely necessary for this, don't even think about installing whole thing by hand even if several people with ropes are volunteering to help out.

Basically, the sequence of these final steps is kind of obvious - the components on the bottom are installed first, and then everything else is stacked up on top. In my case "everything else" meant the power inverter, the batteries, small 12V auxiliary battery, the front radiator, the water pump, the water valves, junction box, main fuses, vacuum gauge and other small stuff. Wiring goes next, battery cables first, motor cables second and low voltage wiring last. The plumbing is done when everything else is in place. The photos below will show one of the most exciting parts of the project.

Installation The drive train is hanged from the hoist. The total weight of it is about 150 kg (330 lb.).
Installation Orient whole thing correctly and ready to lower.
Installation Another photo of the train outside the car.
Installation The drive train is lowered and the bolt is inserted in the left rubberized engine support. The clutch cable attached.
Installation At this point it is convenient to mount the heater and the charger.
Installation Once the position of the power inverter is determined, it is lowered on top of the drive train.

AssembledSome unexpected obstacles developed when I was inserting drive half shafts in the gear box sockets. Namely, the left CV joint boot was touching the adapter plate edge preventing from complete insertion. Well, time again for the angle grinder. When the plate edge was cut off and the joint inserted, it was touching the motor case. Oops...
Thanks God, it was only touching. A slight notch in the motor body allowed CV to rotate freely with about 1 mm clearance from the motor. Whew.

Here and there, unavoidable small problems like this were discovered and taken care of. For instance. the front battery post was almost touching the motor terminals cover. I didn't want to leave the cover off and let the moisture to get into the motor winding. So, I cut the post off and used the side terminal...

Of course other than under hood work, a lot of other places were waiting have to be designed on the fly and done. The chargers installation, the spring coils upgrade, and quite a few small things you will discover you forgot to take care of. But, step by step, your creation will approach the finished and driveable state, and the closer you are the more temptation you will have to cut some corners and hit the road as quickly as you can. Be careful and don't compromise safety here.

I will post more images in this section later. For now,

Transmission Installing drive half shafts. This one presented the problem.
Transmission Another view of the transmission from underneath.
Transmission First, it's rubbing against the motor, and second - won't go in all the way...
Transmission The adapter plate had to be grinded on the spot. The motor wall too...
Transmission Other photo. The gap between half shaft and the motor is 1mm.
Transmission What the finished under hood look like (large 1280x1024 image).